In a bid to set the new history for the ruling NDA especially for BJP, it has succedded in ensuring the victory to its leader as a Vice President. NDA candidate Naidu received 516 votes, Gandhi got 244 votes.
The term of the incumbent Hamid Ansariwill end on August 10. Needless to say, Ansari has held the post for two consecutive terms.
Naidu will be administered the oath of office by President Ram Nath Kovind at a function at Rashtrapati Bhavan on August 11.
The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has congratulated Shri M Venkaiah Naidu on being elected the 13th Vice President of India.
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi (UPA’s candidate)-244 votes.
- Venkaiah Naidu (NDA’s candidate) - 516 votes.
- Total: 760 votes were valid and 11 were invalid.
- Total 771 votes polled, in the 786-member electoral college.
- Naidu got 67 per cent of the total votes